All that glitters

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Family is Forever

Today was my grandma's 91st birthday! It took a lot of looking, but I finally found a pic of my grandma that I had with me in AZ - most of my memory/keepsake items are at my mom's house in IL.
My sister Beth, Grandma B and I on mother's day 2004
I am happy that I got to see my grandma a few weeks ago, and will soon be able to see her again on a more regular basis. I have spent the last 6 or so years in Arizona, where I re-located to so I could go to school. In a little over a month, I will be closing out this chapter of my life and packing up my things and moving back to Illinois. I am currently on the job hunt and would like to work for an airline, so I could be constantly traveling - I would love that. Also looking for jobs in event planning because that is what I graduated in and have enjoyed it thus far! This month I am turning 24 and lots of my friends will be coming into town to help me celebrate - more on that later, but I am SO excited. Soon after my birthday, I will pack up my things and my roommate, Jenny and I will take the road trip back from AZ to IL. It will be sad to leave my AZ family, but I hope to be back often to visit the ones I have come to love.
My roomies <3
One of my favorite nights in AZ

Back to business, in honor of Grandma B., I will also share one of her mom - my great grandma (GiGi). The picture below is from a local article that she was featured in many years back, and it all had to do with her famous kolackys. I have to admit, when my family gets together, I am usually not the biggest fan of chowing down on czech food, but I looove 2 things - potato dumplings and kolackys. I'll let you  in on her secret, all in her own words...
GiGi
  • 1 package dry yeast & 1/5 cup lukewarm milk - disolve and let stand
  • 1 lb. crisco & 4 cups flour - work like for pie crust and then add
  • 1 cup cream or canned milk, beaten with 3 eggs yolks, mix well and add yeast mixture and beat. 
  • Put in refrigerator over night. 
  • Next day roll out dough on sugar and cut out with a glass. With bottom of smaller glass, make impression in center for filling. Let raise about 30 mins., bake in 350 degrees until golden brown. 
  • Remove with spatula as soon as you take them from the oven, or else they will stick to cookie sheet.
  • You can put dough in freezer and use a piece at a time. Makes about 100 kolacky.
Thanks to my cousin, Mel for the picture and finding me the recipe. I got to see her this past weekend in Tucson, where we both stayed with our family - Aunt Sarah, Hank and cousin, Leeann for easter. It was also Leeann's birthday - Happy 16th! Time to drive :) It was fun visiting and going through old family photos.
Cousin Leeann, Aunt Sarah, Me and Cousin Melissa

XOXO
More blogs to come:
Visit to Vail
Royal wedding









No comments:

Post a Comment